Saturday, November 27, 2010
Destruction of leftover / excess / rejected material
1.0 Purpose : To provide an instruction for destruction of leftover / excess / rejected material in QC department.
2.0 Objective : To provide a documented procedure for destruction of leftover / excess / rejected material in QC department.
3.0 Scope : This procedure is applicable for destruction of leftover / excess / rejected material in QC department of --------Pharmaceuticals Ltd,Ankleshwar.
4.0 Responsibility :
· Primary : QC Chemist / QC Officer
· Secondary : Overall: QC – Incharge
· Destruction of leftover/excess sample is carried out in QC washroom.
· Bring the samples in area and remove and deface the label of materials.
· Separate the waste in two parts Product (Raw materials, Powder, Liquids etc.) and Packing material (Labels, Jars, Foils, Cartons, Plastic bags, Glass Bottles, Caps, Tubes etc.)
· Dissolve or suspend the product in bucket containing sufficient water, with the help of glass rod / hypo chlorite solution / acid / alkali or suitable reagents.
· If material soluble, neutralize and send it to ETP.
· If not soluble, filter it and send residue for incineration.
· Destroy the packing material waste separately in scrap yard.
Note: This procedure is applicable for leftover sample quantity after analysis, Expired control samples and Stability samples after testing.
Ø Use acid / alkali proof hand gloves & safety goggles, safety shoes, nose mask.
Ø Keep the exhaust/ventilation system ON.
Ø Destruct the material by keeping the bucket away from the workman and material should be added slowly so that to avoid splashing.